Site icon News Journos

Texas Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Request

Texas Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Request

Karmelo Anthony will not receive a new trial after a Texas judge rejected his request following a two-day hearing. The defense argued that an unwritten agreement with prosecutors, courtroom restrictions and limits on self-defense instructions violated Anthony’s rights. The ruling leaves his murder conviction and 35-year prison sentence in place while his direct appeal continues. The judge’s order did not explain the specific reasoning behind the decision.

Retired District Judge Michael Chitty reviewed the motion, court record, evidence, legal briefs, arguments and applicable case law before denying the request on Saturday.

Article Subheadings

1) Ruling preserves conviction and sentence
2) Dispute over the unwritten courtroom agreement
3) Former defense attorneys describe testimony conflict
4) Other constitutional claims considered
5) Appeal remains the next legal step

Ruling preserves conviction and sentence

The ruling keeps Karmelo Anthony’s June murder conviction and 35-year prison sentence in effect. Anthony, who was 19 at the time of the hearing, was convicted in Collin County of stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during an altercation at a track meet in Frisco, Texas.

The decision followed two days of testimony in McKinney, Texas. Michael Chitty, a retired district judge, considered whether alleged trial errors had deprived Anthony of a fair proceeding, but his written order did not provide a detailed explanation for denying the motion.

Dispute over the unwritten courtroom agreement

The central issue was an oral understanding between Anthony’s original defense attorneys and prosecutors. The defense said the arrangement was designed to prevent potentially damaging character evidence involving both sides from being presented to the jury.

Former lead defense attorney Mike Howard testified that he understood the agreement would allow Anthony to testify about the confrontation beneath a tent at the Frisco track meet, provided Anthony stayed focused on that incident. On the final day of trial, prosecutors told the defense they believed the agreement would not apply if Anthony testified and that the defense had opened the door to character evidence.

The disagreement led to a heated break in the proceedings. According to testimony, Anthony then became unwilling to take the stand because he was uncertain whether prosecutors could introduce evidence the agreement was intended to exclude.

Former defense attorneys describe testimony conflict

Howard acknowledged during cross-examination that the attorneys had never expressly agreed on whether a testifying defendant would be covered by the arrangement. He also said he could not determine whether prosecutors had acted in bad faith.

Former defense attorney Toby Shook gave similar testimony, saying the defense team had expected the agreement to cover Anthony’s account of the confrontation. Shook said prosecutors’ position surprised him because the defense had anticipated that Anthony would testify in support of his self-defense claim.

The defense also presented a continuing legal education presentation used by lead prosecutor Bill Wirskye. One slide advised defense attorneys that a client “(probably) needs to testify.” Wirskye disputed the defense interpretation, saying the lawyers had not discussed the precise terms that would apply if Anthony took the stand and that prosecutors remained willing to honor the agreement.

“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial. The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process,” Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said.

Other constitutional claims considered

The court also considered claims that restrictions on courtroom access violated Anthony’s Sixth Amendment right to a public trial. The defense further argued that hearings had been held without Anthony present and that jury instructions limited how jurors could evaluate his self-defense claim.

The hearing took place after Judge Sid Harle removed Judge John Roach, who presided over the murder trial, from the remaining proceedings. Harle concluded that a reasonable outside observer could question Roach’s impartiality after Roach publicly said the jury had “got it right” and defended several trial decisions.

Appeal remains the next legal step

Anthony’s legal challenge will continue through a direct appeal. The denial means the trial verdict and sentence remain operative while appellate courts consider the broader claims raised by the defense.

The prosecution said every defendant has the right to appeal and expressed sympathy for the Metcalf family. The state also maintained that the jury’s verdict was valid and that the case had been handled through an appropriate legal process.

Key Points

Number Key Point
1 The request for a new trial was denied by retired Judge Michael Chitty.
2 Anthony’s murder conviction and 35-year sentence remain in place.
3 Former defense attorneys said a dispute over an unwritten agreement affected Anthony’s decision not to testify.
4 The defense’s remaining challenge will proceed through a direct appeal.

Summary

The Texas court’s decision leaves Anthony’s conviction and sentence unchanged after reviewing claims involving testimony, courtroom access, judicial conduct and self-defense instructions. Testimony from former defense lawyers highlighted uncertainty over whether an oral agreement protected Anthony from character evidence if he testified. The prosecution rejected the claim that it breached the agreement. A direct appeal now remains the principal avenue for further review.

Frequently Asked Questions

Was Karmelo Anthony granted a new trial?

No. Retired District Judge Michael Chitty denied the request after reviewing the record, evidence, arguments and relevant law.

What was the main issue at the hearing?

The main issue was a dispute over an unwritten agreement between Anthony’s former defense lawyers and prosecutors concerning character evidence if Anthony testified.

What happens next in the case?

Anthony’s legal challenge will continue through a direct appeal, while his murder conviction and 35-year prison sentence remain in place.

Exit mobile version