A 17-year-old Acton, Massachusetts, boy has been charged as an adult in the alleged killings of his mother and 14-year-old brother. Arjun Aravind pleaded not guilty to two murder counts and related assault charges at a Concord District Court arraignment on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. Prosecutors said investigators found evidence of a violent struggle and cited internet activity involving theoretical or fictional scenarios about killing family members. Aravind was ordered held without bail and is scheduled to return to court Sept. 11.
| 1) | The Charges and Arraignment |
| 2) | The Discovery of the Victims |
| 3) | Investigative Timeline and Vehicle |
| 4) | Alleged Internet Activity and Mental Health |
| 5) | Upcoming Proceedings and Community Response |
The Charges and Arraignment
Arjun Aravind, of Acton, was charged as an adult under Massachusetts law. Prosecutors allege that he killed his mother, Sudha Venkatesan, 45, and his younger brother, Siddharth Aravind, 14, inside their home. The charges filed in Concord District Court include two counts of murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and two counts of assault and battery. Additional allegations involve the unauthorized use and theft of a motor vehicle.
Aravind pleaded not guilty during the Thursday hearing and was ordered held without bail. His defense attorney, Debra DeWitt, requested a mental health evaluation. When the judge asked whether the request related to competency to stand trial or criminal responsibility, DeWitt said that issue had not yet been determined. The allegations remain unproven unless established in court.
The Discovery of the Victims
Police were called to the family’s Martha Lane home in Acton shortly after 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 11, after Aravind’s father requested a well-being check. The father had been at work and became concerned when a tutor who arrived at the residence could not get inside. Repeated attempts to reach the family went unanswered, prompting the call to police.
Responding officers found Siddharth dead on the first floor and later found Venkatesan dead in the finished basement. Authorities said investigators observed evidence of a violent physical struggle. Preliminary findings indicated that both victims suffered blunt-force trauma, although the medical examiner had not finalized the official causes of death by the time of the arraignment.
Investigative Timeline and Vehicle
Investigators said Venkatesan was last seen alive at about 7 a.m. Tuesday, when her husband left for work. Siddharth went to a recreational facility at approximately 9 a.m. and returned home shortly after noon. The sequence helped authorities establish the period during which the alleged killings may have occurred.
Police also determined that Venkatesan’s green Honda Accord was missing from the property. At approximately 3:40 a.m. Wednesday, officers located Aravind inside the vehicle in a parking lot in nearby Wayland, Massachusetts. He was taken into custody without incident. Prosecutors said investigators recovered items from the car that they believe corresponded with evidence from the home, but officials have not publicly identified those items.
Alleged Internet Activity and Mental Health
Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said investigators found what she described as concerning behavior before the deaths. According to prosecutors, Aravind used internet services, including ChatGPT, to make searches involving theoretical ideas or fantasies about killing his family. The reported activity is part of the investigation and does not by itself establish the legal cause of the deaths.
Court documents also indicate that Aravind’s father had become worried about his son’s recent behavior and internet use and had started hiding knives inside the home. Aravind received medical treatment for injuries to his hand before the court appearance and was medically cleared to attend. His attorney’s request for a mental health evaluation leaves open questions about his condition and any potential legal implications, which have not yet been decided.
Upcoming Proceedings and Community Response
Aravind is due back in court on Sept. 11 for a probable cause hearing. That proceeding is expected to address whether prosecutors have presented sufficient evidence for the case to continue, while later hearings may examine forensic findings, witness accounts and the defendant’s mental health.
The family had recently moved to Acton, an affluent community about 30 miles northwest of Boston, in part because of its schools and support system for the children, according to the defense. Police Chief Douglas Sturniolo said authorities have been in contact with local schools to activate support services. Officials have not announced additional details about the family’s circumstances or the evidence that investigators say links the vehicle to the crime scene.
| Number | Key Point |
|---|---|
| 1 | A 17-year-old Acton resident was charged as an adult in two alleged killings. |
| 2 | The victims were his mother, Sudha Venkatesan, and brother, Siddharth Aravind. |
| 3 | Police found evidence of a struggle and preliminary indications of blunt-force trauma. |
| 4 | Prosecutors cited alleged ChatGPT searches involving fictional or theoretical family killings. |
| 5 | The defendant is being held without bail and has a probable cause hearing scheduled for Sept. 11. |
Summary
The case involves the alleged killings of a mother and son in Acton and a teenage defendant who has been charged as an adult. Investigators are examining physical evidence from the home and a vehicle, the defendant’s recent conduct and reported internet activity. The next major court date is expected to provide further information about the evidence supporting the prosecution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who was charged in the Acton case?
Arjun Aravind, 17, of Acton, was charged as an adult in connection with the deaths of his mother and younger brother.
What charges does Aravind face?
He faces two counts of murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault and battery, and allegations involving the unauthorized use and theft of a motor vehicle.
What happens next?
Aravind is being held without bail and is scheduled to return to Concord District Court on Sept. 11 for a probable cause hearing. His defense has also requested a mental health evaluation.

