The family of Iryna Zarutska has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Charlotte, North Carolina, and its private transit security contractor over her fatal stabbing on a light-rail train. The complaint alleges systemic security failures, including inadequate staffing, limited armed patrols and a lack of fare enforcement. The allegations have not been adjudicated, and the defendants’ liability has not been established in court. The lawsuit seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against the contractor.
| 1) | Family files wrongful-death lawsuit |
| 2) | Alleged staffing shortages on the Blue Line |
| 3) | Fare enforcement and access concerns |
| 4) | Claims of recurring criminal activity |
| 5) | Damages and responses |
Family files wrongful-death lawsuit
The estate and family of Iryna Zarutska sued the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., which operates as Professional Security Services, nearly one year after Zarutska was fatally stabbed aboard the city’s Lynx Blue Line. The complaint names negligent and inadequate security, gross negligence and wrongful death among its claims. It argues that the killing was preventable and that failures in the Charlotte Area Transit System contributed to the danger faced by passengers.
The lawsuit concerns the attack on Aug. 22, 2025, and identifies Decarlos Dejuan Brown Jr. as the accused killer. The claims remain allegations. A court has not determined whether Charlotte or the contractor breached any legal duty or whether additional security would have prevented the attack.
Alleged staffing shortages on the Blue Line
A central allegation is that no security guard was aboard the train when Zarutska was attacked. The complaint says the city’s amended contract with PSS funded 219 security positions for fiscal years 2025 and 2026, but that the contractor had hired 183 personnel when the stabbing occurred. It also alleges that only 11 armed guards were available, even though the contract allowed for as many as 39 armed personnel.
Attorney Lauren Newton, who represents Zarutska’s family and estate, said the system was not fully staffed. In a prior statement, Newton said, “If there had been a security guard on that train, Iryna Zarutska would be here.” That assertion is part of the family’s position and has not been established through a court ruling.
Fare enforcement and access concerns
The complaint also challenges the transit system’s approach to fares and station access. It alleges that Brown rode Charlotte’s transit system without paying before the attack and that the light-rail network lacked physical barriers capable of preventing passengers without tickets from entering.
The family’s attorney argues that fare enforcement and controlled access are basic elements of transit safety. The allegations place those operational policies alongside staffing levels as contributing factors the city and contractor allegedly knew, or should have known, could affect passenger security. The lawsuit does not establish that a fare barrier would have prevented the stabbing.
Claims of recurring criminal activity
The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS were aware, or should have been aware, that the Blue Line and its stations had repeatedly been locations of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. The family contends that violent crime was foreseeable and that the defendants failed to respond with adequate security measures.
Those claims are intended to show why the defendants allegedly had notice of risks on the system. The complaint links that alleged history to decisions about personnel, patrol deployment and passenger screening. Whether the prior incidents created a legal obligation to take specific actions will be decided through the litigation.
Damages and responses
The estate seeks more than $25,000 in damages and punitive damages from PSS. The complaint does not seek punitive damages from Charlotte. The family says it brought the case both to pursue compensation and to press for changes intended to protect other transit passengers.
Charlotte has previously said it does not comment on active litigation. PSS had not responded to an earlier request for comment, and immediate responses from Charlotte, PSS and Newton were not available. The case will determine whether the alleged security and operational failures caused or contributed to Zarutska’s death.
“The family doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s loved one,” Newton previously said.
| Number | Key Point |
|---|---|
| 1 | Zarutska’s family sued Charlotte and PSS over the Aug. 22, 2025, train stabbing. |
| 2 | The complaint alleges no guard was on the train and that PSS was understaffed. |
| 3 | The lawsuit also challenges fare enforcement and access controls. |
| 4 | The allegations have not been adjudicated. |
Summary
The lawsuit places staffing, armed security, fare enforcement and alleged recurring crime at the center of the family’s case. It seeks accountability from Charlotte and PSS, while the defendants’ legal responsibility remains unresolved. Future proceedings will determine whether the alleged failures were negligent and connected to Zarutska’s death.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who filed the lawsuit?
The estate and family of Iryna Zarutska filed the wrongful-death lawsuit against the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., doing business as Professional Security Services.
What security failure does the complaint allege?
The complaint alleges that no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train during the fatal stabbing and that the contractor lacked the personnel required under its contract.
What damages are being sought?
The estate seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against PSS, but not against Charlotte. The claims and requested damages have not yet been resolved by a court.

